Warning! This was an ambitious lab to do with a general Biology class. The Biology Co-op Class completed this Catalase Activity in Immobilised Yeast, a UK web site. The kids created yeast ‘pearls’ and tested the pearls in hydrogen peroxide solutions. It went pretty well. I made up sodium alginate and calcium lactate solutions in advance using this brand. We used ordinary baker’s yeast and fresh solutions of hydrogen peroxide (3%). The kids diluted the hydrogen peroxide and times how long for the yeast pearls to rise. I had the kids enter their data into a Google sheet—just to review how to enter data and insert formulas. Next time, we will discuss enzymes with this slideshow and this Scientific American article. Yeast cells have peroxisomes. I’m using this slideshow about peroxisomes for class. Here is the bottom line. Yeast cells have Peroxisome, which have catalase, an enzyme, which is a protein. Enzymes catalyze chemical reactions, in this case, the decomposition of H2O2. There is a great deal of science to discuss on Thursday. Whew. Take a look at the lab pix.
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...








No comments:
Post a Comment