Saturday, October 19, 2019
Apologia Chemistry: Acids and Bases Module 10
Apologia Chemistry are completely aligned in Module 10, Acids and Bases. Experiment 10.1, Common Household Examples of Acids and Bases. I assemble soda, juices, Windex, sudsy ammonia, shampoo, soft soap, etc and have the kids predict whether the substance is acidic or basic and test with litmus paper. We also do acid-base titrations similar to Experiment 10.2. I use HCl and NaOH with phenolphthalein to titrations; we can try ammonia with vinegar, too. (Here is a microscale version.). We do a serial dilution of HCl and NaOH with universal indicator to demonstrate the pH scale. I have them make several series or serial dilutions to evaluate pH indicators, such as red cabbage. We also determine pH with probes and different indicators. Can you tell I like lab?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment