Friday, October 18, 2019

Apologia Chemistry: All in one lesson

I’ve taught private school, public school, and home-school students for a number of years.  In public school, I adapted an ‘all in one chemistry kit’: lesson, reading, questions, and lab.  These ‘all in one’ kits were themed.  In public schools, on half-days, half of the chemistry classes might miss class.  I wanted to have fun meaningful activities for these occasions.


Here is one example: the science of slime.  For an activity kit there is a lesson plan (oobleck), instructions with extensions, and a ChemMatters article with questions.  Ideally, the lab or activity involves supplies I have on hand and is fun!  If the kids like the lab and finish the article with questions, I have extensions, such as different slime recipes.  Instead of a traditional lab report, I might ask the kids to do a slime video for my you-tube channel and explain what a polymer is.

Next week, I’m doing the paper marbling lab, the water marbling nail art, making ink, and reading about paper.  ACS even has detailed notes and lesson ideas.  The teacher’s guide from ACS has more lab ideas and links.  We need a break from nomenclature before our brains explode.  I’ll post photos.

These ‘all in one’ lessons are useful as a break when we’re in the middle of something really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...