I taught metric measures, significant figures, and conversions earlier. Apologia Chemistry has good explanations in Module 1. Two of the kids in my Co-op are still struggling with metric measures and unit conversions—and maybe scientific notation. Here’s my advice. Start by reading Module 1 in the textbook. Next diagnose the issue. Can the child set up the problem using the unit factor method or factor-label method or dimensional analysis? Start with Example 1.1, 1.2, and the one your own’ problems in Apologia Chemistry text. Is the problem writing numbers in scientific notation? Practice with these problems. Yes there’s an answer key. Can the child enter the scientific notation into a scientific calculator correctly—-shown here? By all means, use a calculator to solve conversion problems. Here is another conversion set to use to practice with solutions.
Here are the steps. Set up the problem using the factor-label method. Change numbers into scientific notation and solve. See if this helps. Truthfully, I go over each step with the kids repeatedly until he or she learns the method. I quiz until the child has 90% correct. It seems like a lot of work. The kids need these skills for Chemistry and Physics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment