We will not do gas laws (Module 12) until Spring, when I’ll do Module 2. But, my husband, Rob, needed an extrapolation lab for his Statistics class. I suggested the Charles Law lab. Charles Law demonstrates the relationship of volume and temperature in gases. This lab uses 10 mL plastic syringes with caps in different beakers of water at various temperatures. The volume of the trapped air in the syringe varies with the water temperature. (Gas molecules are further apart in warm environment and closer together in a cold environment.). Rob is going to do the lab and have the kids graph, plot, and extrapolate the linear regression. He wants the kids to organize and present the data, too.
I’ll do the same lab next spring with Chemistry. Normally, I do this Charles Law Lab. (I use a side arm flask and closed rubber stopper.). Instead, I’ll do a demo with the side arm flask to introduce Charles Law. The kids will repeat the lab with syringes. So much easier! (Imagine glass flasks, glass beakers, hot plates—all expensive and fragile.). I’ll post pix when Rob does the lab next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment