Module 11, The Chemistry of Solutions, students with the optional MicroChem kit are encouraged to do Experiment 5, double replacement reactions, which form water- insoluble ionic compounds. This means precipitates. We will do the Solubility Patterns Lab to learn Solubility Rules with double replacement reactions.
We’ll make varying concentrations of salt and sugar solutions to learn solutions, dilutions, molarity, and different concentration units. Once we make the solutions, we’ll do Experiment 11.1, The Effect of Temperature on the Solubility of Solid Solutes. (I teach this with sweet tea.). Next, we can do Experiment 11.2, The Effect of Temperature on the Solubility of a Gas. (Flinn’s version is similar.). Experiment 11.3, Investigation of a Solute That Releases Heat When Dissolved, uses sodium hydroxide or Lye. I’m not wild of experimenting with lye. Since the purpose of the lab is to understand exothermic (and endothermic) reactions, I’ll use The Hot and Cold of It. Experiment 11.4, Freezing Point Depression, involves freezing ice with and without salt. Flinn has this Freezing Point Depression and Quick Freeze. (This ChemMatters article, Salting Roads partners with the topic.).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment