Recently, I did a post on equipment. I use some plastic equipment, such as these small test tubes when we’re using household chemicals in small quantities. This is the set I bought for the Kool-aid lab. They are set aside for food labs, only. But, if you’re heating solutions, or observing reactions, use Pyrex or borosilicate glass beakers or test tubes, such as these, which come with a cardboard test tube rack. (I bought this set, which is a bit bigger.). Don’t use glass tubes from a craft store. The Pyrex or borosilicate glassware is heat resistant.
Here is a list of common household chemicals. I order some chemicals from Home Science Tools and Amazon. Whenever possible, I use household chemicals. Yes, I use salt, vinegar, and baking soda; Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), blue stone, a root killer ( copper II sulfate), acetone, ethanol and isopropyl alcohol, TUMs ( calcium carbonate), cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate), and phenol red (pool chemical). We’ll do this household chemical lab later this month. Take a look at all of the household chemicals. Typically, these chemicals are not lab-grade, meaning the chemicals aren’t as pure. I haven’t noticed a big difference. Chemicals usually are fine for one year. Solutions such as hydrogen peroxide or indicators, such as phenol red degrade quickly. I buy smaller quantities of solutions and larger amounts of salts, such as Driveway heat (calcium chloride) and Epsom salts, which work for lab (and at home) for a couple years.
Whenever I post labs, I look for labs that are affordable and use easy to procure chemicals. Here is one more household lab.
No comments:
Post a Comment