I’m mapping the curriculum for the year and tying my lessons and labs to the Apologia Chemistry text. (Soon, Rob and I start the prep for taxes. We volunteer two days a week with AARP.). Module 6 is Stoichiometry. First the kids need to understand moles, in Module 5. We start with a series of Mole Labs: Popcorn Counting Units, Aluminum, Iron, Water, Chalk, and Alka-Seltzer. (The Mole concept is introduced in Module 5.). We celebrate Mole Day. (It’s October 23rd. We will celebrate when we get to Moles and Stoichiometry. The kids make Stuffed moles. (I have felt, pom poms, eyes, fiberfill, etc.). (Here are more detailed instructions.) (Here are examples of moles.). (I like to make Mole Hole Cookies.).
Then we tackle Module 6, Stoichiometry. The best lab is Flinn’s Can You Make 2 Grams? Students write the equation, predict the products, balance the equation, and eventually determine how much of each reactant they need to prepare exactly 2 grams of the precipitate. The lab itself is quick; the process is not. Apologia Chemistry Module 6 has Experiment 6.1, Limiting Reactants. We’ll do this after we learn about limiting reactants. Flinn’s Leftover Aluminum Lab is also good for limiting reactants. Ideally, one uses a centigram digital scale—very expensive. I’m going to see if pieces of aluminum foil work—if there’s a difference in mass after reacting with copper sulfate. The Hydrate Lab is good for Percent composition and empirical formula. Can you just hear the screams?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment