This week and next week, the Chemistry class is working on nomenclature. Dr. Wile covers inorganic nomenclature under the heading of Classifying Matter as Ionic or Covalent (pp 87-92, 2nd edition), Module 9, Polyatomic Ions (pp285-289, 2nd edition), and acid names in Module 10 (p. 328, 2nd edition). We are including the stock system and Latin system.
We began with Putting the Ions in their Hands; today the kids did an ionic impounds and formulas lab. Make extra copies of the Ion Formulas Chart. (A copy is in the Putting the Ions in their Hands documents.). Next are notes—-loads of notes. Then, I break it down into sections. I start with ionic compounds worksheet and this worksheet. (They include answer keys.) I begin with naming and then go on to writing formulas. I use loads of worksheets to practice.
Then, I review covalent molecules and covalent molecules with names and formulas. Then, we learn the stock system, polyatomic ions, and acid and base nomenclature. This Friday is loads of notes followed by many worksheets and quizzes. As a long tenured teacher, the kids need load of practice to learn nomenclature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This year I’m pulling up all the stops to get things organized. How?
This year is going to be different! Ha! Who hasn’t said that? But, I’ve implemented some changes. I put together a series of lessons whic...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment