We used fossils on hand I collected from the Chesapeake Bay, mainly shark teeth and bits of jaw bone. (Here is a link for fossil molds.). Guess what? We substituted Sculptee clay for the plaster or play doh. I had it on hand. Paul pressed the fossils into the clay and we baked his fossil casts. Nice and neat. Below are some photos.
Wednesday, April 22, 2020
Apologia Young Explorers Zoology 1: Fossil Casts
Lesson Eight has a project, Make a Fossil Egg. Surprise! I modified the activity. Home Science Tools (HST) has an activity, Making a Fossil Cast. (HST store sells plaster and fossils. Walmart sells plaster in the craft section.). First, what is the point of making a fossil cast? Here is one explanation. Fossil casts may be used to preserve the fossil, to create museum models, or to record the fossil in situ, where it originated.
We used fossils on hand I collected from the Chesapeake Bay, mainly shark teeth and bits of jaw bone. (Here is a link for fossil molds.). Guess what? We substituted Sculptee clay for the plaster or play doh. I had it on hand. Paul pressed the fossils into the clay and we baked his fossil casts. Nice and neat. Below are some photos.
We used fossils on hand I collected from the Chesapeake Bay, mainly shark teeth and bits of jaw bone. (Here is a link for fossil molds.). Guess what? We substituted Sculptee clay for the plaster or play doh. I had it on hand. Paul pressed the fossils into the clay and we baked his fossil casts. Nice and neat. Below are some photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment