Friday, July 17, 2020

Gummy Bear Lab: Is it Mad Science Camp?

Today we had Paul design and implement a lab, Gummy Bear Lab.  I started with a question.  What happens to gummy bears in different liquids?  Then I asked which liquids he might test.    We had a brief discussion about controlled variables.  For our little household, Gummy Bear lab is School.  Could you make it Camp?  Sure!  Ask the kid to test gummy bears and let them roll.  When I issue challenges at Camp, the resulting experiments are not rigidly controlled.  However, the testing is generally enthusiastic. If the kids do this in Camp, leave the bears in solution overnight.

I like kids to design experiments and specify controlled variables.  My husband, Rob, is a stickler for constructing data tables.  The science process is Osmosis.  We let the bears sit in solution for two hours.  Take a look.






No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...