Sunday, July 19, 2020

Apologia Chemistry: Fall Prep Ionic Formula Lab

I’m assembling kits for my Co-op Chemistry class.  When I teach ionic compounds my kids do do Forming and Naming Ionic Compounds Lab.  The issue is cost of materials.  I usually have two sets of chemicals the kids share for lab.  I found this lab which uses only six chemicals based on this small scale lab.  (Scroll down to Analysis of Cations and Anions.). Home Science Tools sells these chemicals.  You can search the website using the formula.  NaOH is sodium hydroxide and caustic.  You must crush the pellets and and dissolve them into water.  You may want to substitute ammonium hydroxide or sudsy ammonia for sodium hydroxide, NaOH.  Below are the formulas and their names to help you search for the best prices.  
AgNO3 is silver nitrate
FeCl3 is iron III chloride
Pb(NO3)2 is lead II nitrate
NaOH is sodium hydroxide
Na3PO4 is sodium phosphate

Don’t confuse Na2CO3, sodium carbonate, washing soda, with NaHCO3, sodium bicarbonate, baking soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...