Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Apologia Biology: Module 2 and 5

 I’m working through the new Apologia Biology textbook.  At the same time, I still like the second edition of the Apologia Biology textbook.  Module 2 is Chemistry, Biochemistry, and quite a bit about properties of water.  The labs are different.  Both the 2nd and 3rd editions have the pineapple enzyme and jello labs.  The 3rd edition has a water property lab and a paper chromatography lab.  The 2nd has Diffusion and Osmosis labs.  

I usually postpone Biochemistry and a review of basic chemistry until later in the course.  But now is fine, too.  I’m teaching Lacie Biology remotely.  She took Chemistry last year.  We’ll focus on Biochemistry.  

Focus on the basics.  I would use this guide as your teen reads. Here  is a POGIL Introduction to Chemistry.  Here is the answer key.  I use Lab aids Molecules of Life Kit.  The kit has kids build and answer questions about the models: carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins.  A cheaper alternative is this POGIL Biological Molecules activity.  Have the kids build molecules.  Clay models with toothpicks are fine.  

The 3rd edition has an antacid lab titration with vinegar.  The 2nd edition has a  diffusion lab.  We do a Gummy Bear Diffusion lab.  This Diffusion Lab is actually a classic Osmosis lab and uses starch, baggies, and iodine.  I use large yogurt cups in place of beakers and set them aside to observe.  Allow plenty of time for this Module.  I recommend doing all of these labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...