Saturday, September 5, 2020

Rocks and Minerals

 When you are a science teacher, often the principal thinks you can teach any science.   One subject I have taught several times is Earth Science.  One lab kids should do is rocks and minerals identification.  Buy a specimen set which is numbered and has an identification key.  All of the science course work I had in college was for Biology and Chemistry.  (Okay I had a little Physics.).   I had to learn Earth Science and Physical Science on the job.  I do not have enough background to identify unknowns.  

Rocks Rocks Rocks from Teach Engineering has instructions for rock and mineral labs.  These labs are designed for seventh grade.  Perfect.  Read through all of the material and assemble your tools.  I would add density to the rock or mineral tests.  (Measure volume by displacement  in a graduated cylinder.). HST  sells a mineral test set.  First check your house for a nail, magnet, and unglazed tile—the back of a floor tile.  Keep the key handy and confess your lack of background.  I muddle through the different tests for rocks right along with the kids.  It’s humbling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...