If you have an Edible Chemistry Kit, two of the ingredients are sodium alginate and calcium acetate. The Bioplastics lab calls for sodium alginate and calcium lactate. I’ve used calcium lactate and to substitute for calcium acetate when I couldn’t find food grade calcium acetate. Bioplastics are created to make Edible Water Bottles. The process is called spherification in molecular gastronomy. I used these spheres for a Yeast Catalase lab. BTW the Bioplastics lab was in the ACS 2020 publication, Chemists Celebrate Earth Day. Here is Chemmatters article about Bioplastics. I’ve been looking for labs my kids can do at home which are both interesting and safe. Bioplastics fit the bill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment