Usually, I do some direct instruction and labs in class—usually for about three hours a week. Instead we are Zooming twice a week, usually for 40 minutes a session. After the Zoom class, I usually start another meeting immediately to answer questions or check on individual kids. How do you set a deadline? My kids did three labs last week. They had to create two graphs and complete the specific heat calculations. I set a deadline for last Friday. But, some of the kids couldn’t schedule a meeting until Monday. I think deadlines should be flexible. Don’t get me wrong. I set deadlines to keep the kids on track. I have a timeline, Conversion quiz, Specific Heat Quiz, and Periodic Table test I want to complete over the next few weeks. I work with the kids to set due dates. When I make an assignment, such as the timeline, I create a rubric. I do this in class. What does the timeline need to earn full credit? I jot down their responses: title, all scientists, dates, contributions, etc. I do add my own requirements. The Atomic Theory timeline is easier to read if each scientist, his birth, death, and contribution dates are colored differently. I want the timeline set up like a number line with even increments for the dates. But, I strongly recommend working with the kids to schedule assignments and set guidelines. You’re creating a partnership. I work with the kids even to schedule and take quizzes and tests. Some kids need to take the Periodic Table test ten times before successfully memorizing 50 elements. I allow retests. The mastery is more important to me than the grade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment