I don’t know about you; but I associate Chemistry with the Periodic Table. Most Chemistry textbooks do not teach anything about the Periodic Table until well after the course begins. I like to introduce the Periodic Table early and get into more specifics, such as periodic trends later. My Co-op Chemistry class makes Elements Cards as a summer assignment. Adopt an Element is a project for younger kids; they research elements and create an ad. Element Trading Cards is another way to introduce the Periodic Table. Here are instructions to color-code the Periodic Table. Here is a slideshow introduction. What am I doing? My plan is to show kids different versions of the Periodic Table, talk about the origin of names for the elements, the names of the groups or families, the numbering systems, and give them instructions to learn the names of 50 elements. The kids are using the same colors for the groups as those in the summer assignment, Elements Cards to color code blank Periodic Tables. They will annotate the names of the groups on the Periodic Tables. I hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment