Will a bowling ball float? It depends. Here are the formulas to calculate whether a bowling ball will float. (There is a video below the kids made last year explaining the calculations.). For this activity, kids calculate the density of a bowling ball by weighing the bowling ball’s mass and determining the volume of a sphere. Density is mass/volume. Bowling balls which weigh less than 12 lbs. float; those greater than 12 lbs. sink. A 12 lb. bowling ball bobbles in water because it’s about the same density as water. Use cold water with added ice; ice water has a density close to 1 g/ mL. I use bowling balls I bought at yard sales and large buckets. This activity makes kids think. If you assign this to a Co-op class, give everyone a different bowling ball weight. Take a look!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment