Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Apologia Chemistry: Experiment 2.2 or Specific Heat. Which metals should you use?

Update: The calculations are tricky.  I made appointments by zoom with my kids.  I’m working individually with each one to help them work through the calculations.  With calculations like these, I usually do have to walk each kid through the steps.  Yes, it takes hours.  But I don’t want my kids to be discouraged this early in Chemistry.  Once they work through the calculation, they grow in confidence.


 Experiment 2.2 in Apologia Chemistry is a Specific Heat lab.  Which metals can you use?  We used iron nails, steel washers, a lead sinker, and pennies.  Pennies are largely zinc.  Here are the specs for coins.  The composition of pennies changed in 1982. Prior to 1982, the penny was mainly copper with a bit of zinc.  If you can locate five or ten old and new pennies, they work well for this lab.    I sent home kits with baggies of nails, pennies, steel washers, and a lead sinker, just to make sure everyone had something to use for lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...