Saturday, October 24, 2020

Candy Experiments

 Update: We did some more work this afternoon.  Below are more photos.

It’s not even Halloween; we have too much candy from making Jelly Bean Dichotomous Keys and Edible DNA.  What other experiments or activities can you do with candy?  I plan to microwave Monster Mallows with a few of the marshmallows leftover from Edible DNA.  I’ll substitute jelly beans for gum drops and make Candy Compounds—we have a big bag of jelly beans because the small bags were out of stock.  Push hard to get the toothpick into the jelly bean.  Have you seen Dissolving Candy Pumpkins?  No, we didn’t have the harvest mix for experiments.  We just like to eat them.  We might sacrifice a few in the interest of science.  We plan to make Warty Licorice after we microwave the marshmallows.  We have leftover Twizzlers from Edible DNA.  Paul is campaigning for Skittles; we may do Candy Chromatography.  Below are two jelly bean compounds, the ‘warty licorice’, and a marshmallow in the microwave.  I microwaved the licorice for 30 seconds, stopped, and microwaved it for another 30 seconds on high.  Next time, I’ll stop after 30 seconds.  The marshmallow inflated nicely after 30:seconds.













 


No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...