Many girls love color. Try Melting Ice. I thought this might be lame the first time I did it. The kids loved melting the ice and coloring it with tempera paint—much cheaper than watercolor paint. Try melting ice with calcium chloride, Driveway Heat. Here is the ChemMatters article about Salting Roads. Ask your daughter how melting ice with salt is Chemistry. Next is Marbled Rocks. We did this in Chemistry Co-op class last year. The kids marbled dozens of rocks. The Science relates to the density of the nail polish. I think there may be some bonding between the rock and nail polish, too. Use clear nail polish and black construction paper to make Rainbow Paper, which exhibits Thin Film Interference. Sorry, the Rainbow Paper is really Physics. So cool! Rock Marbling is similar to Colorful Lather Prints—another hit with girls! You can reuse the dyed shaving cream to make more cards. Here are instructions to make alcohol dyes. Use the sharpies to test Solubility or make Ink Water Prints. Here is an article about dyes, pigments, and inks. Here is Chemistry Colors Our World, the 2015 National Chemistry Week pamphlet with more experiments to try. Have fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...

No comments:
Post a Comment