I flew to Alaska to visit a close family friend who was teaching fourth grade in a small fishing village. A teacher from the village brought and thawed a large fish. We made fish prints before dissecting the fish. I drew simple diagrams on the chalk board. The kids were experienced with cutting fish. The only problem we had was the kids kept eating parts before we could name them. Oh, and the raw fish needed some soy sauce.
Compare prices between a preserved specimen and a fresh or frozen fish—any type. If the preserved specimen is ‘plain’, it means it has not been dyed. Pricier specimens have dye injected into blood vessels. Let cost be the deciding factor. I bought the perch dissection guide from HST. My kids have used the guide in Apologia Biology, too. Textbooks are expensive; I don’t like having textbooks out during dissections. Here are excellent photos for the perch dissection. Again, do you want a tablet or laptop out near the dissection? You might have a laptop assessable nearby. Here is a fish anatomy coloring page. Here is a living fish observation worksheet; this would make a good companion lab for the dissection. Here is another guide with pre-lab questions, measurements, and detailed instructions. Remember to take loads of photos and compile your worksheets, sketches, and questions together for your lab notebook. Some online schools and colleges want to see student portfolios with evidence for wet labs.

No comments:
Post a Comment