DNA is an abstract topic to teach. I like to start with a lab. The Apologia textbooks have DNA extractions in Module 6 (third edition) and Module 7 (first and second edition). Here are instructions for extracting DNA from anything. I use split peas—because they are cheap. Extract DNA so the kids have something tangible to wrap their heads around. I think Carolina Biological had the original idea for DNA Necklaces. Here are free instructions. Personally, I’m not wild about wearing something I made in lab around my neck. Hey, your teen might like the idea.
Get started making models. Start with Edible DNA. Next create a Paper Model of DNA. Color the nucleotides adenine, guanine, thymine, and cytosine and make a key. Next I do DNA replication with paper clips. Note the colors of the paper clips. I recommend using those colors for the paper DNA model, too. The paper clip replication takes some time, especially to answer the questions. Go back to paper for Transcription and Translation or Protein Synthesis. Note the links for all of the patterns. These models require an investment of time. After each activity, stop and process. This slideshow has basic information about DNA, nucleotides, replication, transcription, and translation. Use the textbook, too. Take it slowly, make loads of models, read the textbook, and invest some time processing. What is DNA? How does it copy itself? What is DNA to RNA replication? How does RNA transcribe the message and translate it into proteins. Amazon has the DNA model kit featured below, which I believe I assembled upside down. Deep breath! You can do this!

No comments:
Post a Comment